How to apply and entry requirements
The application process differs depending on the program:
- International exchange with one of our partner universities including Monash South Africa
- Intercampus exchange to Monash Australia
- Faculty overseas program
Regardless of the program you decide, please ensure you allow yourself sufficient time to prepare. The application process, from the time you start researching opportunities to the point of submitting an application may take four to six months. However, this may be efficiently completed in merely a few weeks if you are well prepared, informed and organised.
To be eligible to participate in an exchange program you must have:
- Completed at least 24 credit points of your course at Monash at the time of application and completed at least 36 credit points at the time of commencement of the exchange program.
- Please note that Engineering students must have completed 48 credit points at the time of application for international exchange.
- Achieved a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 60%. If you are applying to Monash South Africa, the requirement is good academic standing (please check with the Monash Abroad office).
- Certain partner universities require a higher WAM due to the competitive nature of the program. Be sure to check for any additional requirements that each university may require before you apply.
- Selected units that will ensure you are doing a full-time load of on-campus units (i.e. an equivalent of 18 to 24 Monash credit points).
- Only one active semester-length overseas study application (i.e. exchange or intercampus exchange) with Monash for the same study period.
Other factors to consider:
- The available number of exchange places at the partner universities differs. In the event there are no places available, you will be given the opportunity to apply to your second preference.
- If you are enrolled in the following courses, you are not able to go on exchange; however, you can apply for an intercampus exchange to Australia.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business
- Some schools may not permit you to undertake overseas study in the final semester of your course, therefore, please check with your course management office before completing your application.
- If you are currently on intermission, you may still be able to apply but please contact the Monash Abroad office to check your eligibility.
- You may not undertake any Off-Campus Learning units at Monash while you are on your overseas program.
Ready to apply?
Once you are ready, download and complete the Monash Abroad application form (pdf, 1.6MB) for Outbound Exchange students.
The form includes step-by-step instructions to complete your application and details of the application requirements such as your study plan and statement of purpose.
Creating your study plan
Your study plan is the list of units you plan to study while on exchange, and forms part of your application. While the study plan sits within your application form, you need to have it approved and signed off by your course management office before you can submit the form and supporting documentation to Monash Abroad Malaysia. The submission deadline to your school is usually a month before the Monash Abroad application deadline.
Study plan due to your course management office
Completed application due to Monash Abroad
International Exchange(with pre-approved study plan)
Faculty Overseas Program
When creating your study plan you should consider the following:
- Your selected partner university as they each offer different units at different levels and the units are sometimes not taught entirely in English.
- The units you need to study are offered:
- to satisfy your Monash degree
- at the level you are studying (undergraduate and/or postgraduate)
- during the semester you are on exchange
- Ensure you understand the full-time study load at your chosen university and the credit points each unit is worth as you must have the equivalent of 18 - 24 Monash credit points for a full-time load. Please consult your course management office for further details on your study plan preparation.
- Be aware that certain units have restrictions, limitations or pre-requisites, therefore please ensure you meet these before selecting the unit.
- Choose twice as many units than you would actually need to study. This is to be prepared for unforeseen circumstances such as cancellation of classes/units, timetable clashes that could lead to non – fulfilment of enrolment quotas. You are also encouraged to take elective units while on exchange for more flexibility in the approval of units.
- Print the detailed unit outlines to submit with your application. Your school would require additional information such as unit structure, contact hours, content and types of assessments.
Submitting your application
Once your study plan is approved by your course management office and you have completed your application, submit it to Monash Abroad Malaysia by the application deadline.
We will send you an acknowledgement email to inform you that we have received your application and are processing your exchange application. It normally takes up to three weeks after the application deadline before we send you an email.
Find out more about the next steps in the nomination and selection process.