Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
KPT/JPT (R/210/8/0016) 03/20 - MQA/SWA0117
Why study a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)?
This program enables students to complete extensive, independent research (100,000 words). For many students, the program is their first chance to make a major contribution to research in a field of business and economics of their choosing. The Monash PhD has an international reputation for excellence and relevance, with quality supervision at the heart of our success.
PhD students have the chance to work with a group of academics who are at the forefront of their areas of expertise and whose contribution to the business world is recognised internationally. As a doctoral candidate, you will be supported by a minimum of two supervisors throughout your candidature. Under their guidance, you will write and submit a thesis that represents a significant contribution to the body of knowledge or understanding of your field of research.
The sheer scale of Monash University's research capabilities and breadth of specialist expertise within the School of Business offer research students opportunities across the full range of applied business and policy disciplines.
Areas of study
The PhD program may be undertaken in the principal areas of research offered by the School of Business, including accounting and finance, business law and taxation, econometrics and business statistics, economics, health economics, management, marketing, and policy studies.
The Monash University Handbook has detailed information about the structure and requirements for the PhD program in the School of Business.
To apply for the PhD program in the School of Business, you must have completed:
- a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline from Monash University, requiring at least four years of full-time study, which normally includes a research component in the fourth year, leading to an honours degree at H1 or H2A level, or
- a course leading to a master’s preliminary qualification at a level rated by the relevant department, school and committee as equivalent to an honours class 1 or 2A degree, or
- a master’s degree in a related discipline, including a significant research component, at least equivalent to an Australian honours degree (a full-time year of research and an examined thesis). It is normally expected that a minimum grade of H2A has been obtained for the research thesis or project, or
- a qualification considered equivalent to one of the above.
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) can be undertaken over two to four years of full-time or four to eight years of part-time study in the School of Business.
In 2018, annual tuition fees for this course are:
- RM40,280 for Malaysian students
- RM44,308 for international students.
- Application - RM100
- Registration - RM200
- General amenities - RM100
Visa application fee for new international student
- Indonesia - RM 3,000
- Other countries - RM 2,200
You can apply for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at Monash Malaysia throughout the year, subject to availability of supervision.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business and Commerce
- Master of International Business
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Philosophy
Make sure that you also find out about: