Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
KPT/JPT (R/210/8/0016) 03/20 - MQA/SWA0117
Why study a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)?
This program allows students to undertake extensive, independent research (100,000 words). As a doctoral candidate, you will be supported by a minimum of two supervisors throughout your candidature. Under their guidance, you will write and submit a thesis that represents a significant contribution to the body of knowledge or understanding of your field of research.
The Monash PhD has an international reputation for excellence and relevance, with quality supervision at the heart of our success.
Areas of study
Research topics are available in most of the school’s research strengths, depending on supervision and resource availability.
The Monash University Handbook has detailed information about the structure and requirements for the PhD program in the School of Arts and Social Sciences.
Our doctoral graduates use their qualification to advance their careers in:
- journalism, publishing, editing, writing, electronic media, public relations, corporate communications
- marketing, advertising, business research and analysis
- management consulting, international trade, human resources, training and development, management and administration
- diplomacy, foreign affairs, politics
- tourism, hospitality, entertainment and leisure industries
- performing arts (music or drama), production, direction, management and administration, film, television and video.
To apply for the PhD program in the School of Arts and Social Sciences, you must have completed:
- a four year Australian or New Zealand bachelor's degree with an overall result of H2A (Second Class Honours Division A) or above (normally with a research component in the fourth year), or
- an Australian or New Zealand master's preliminary qualification with a significant research component graded at Distinction or above, and an overall result of H2A or above, or
- an Australian or New Zealand coursework master's degree with a significant research component graded at Distinction or above, and an overall result of H2A or above, or
- an Australian or New Zealand research master's degree with an overall result of H2A or above, or
- a qualification considered equivalent to one of the above.
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) can be undertaken over four years of full-time or eight years of part-time study. Student can start their candidature at any time of the year.
In 2018, annual tuition fees for this course are:
- RM40,280 for Malaysian students
- RM44,308 for international students.
- Application - RM100
- Registration - RM200
- General amenities - RM100
Visa application fee for new international student
- Indonesia - RM 3,000
- Other countries - RM 2,200
You can apply for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) throughout the year, subject to availability of supervision.