Student Visa

Australian Visas

As an exchange student, it is essential that you enter Australia with a student visa and not a tourist visa. To apply for a student visa, you will need an intercampus exchange offer letter from Monash Abroad.

Additionally, under Australian Government visa regulations, all international students must have the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) to study in Australia. The purchase of the OSHC is the first step in Monash being able to issue your Certificate of Enrolment (CoE) – which is a student visa application requirement.

More information on the visa requirements will be provided in your intercampus exchange offer letter.

Apply early

Students from certain countries may be eligible to apply online. However, it may still take six to eight weeks for your visa to be processed, so you should apply as early as possible to avoid missing the start of your semester abroad. In some instances, you may also be required to complete a medical examination and/or provide your IELTS score with your visa application. Therefore, it is very important to allow for extra time in making these necessary arrangements.

The costs

Student visa charges are managed entirely by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). You are requested to find out all visa-related information directly from the DIAC website.

Working in Australia

With an Australian student visa, you are allowed to work part – time for up to twenty hours a week during the semester and on a full – time basis during semester breaks. There are no restrictions on the type of work you apply for and a convenient place to start searching for part – time employment would be on – campus, otherwise, there are many off – campus opportunities as well.

You will receive an electronic student visa. As such, no visa stamp will be present in your passport. If you have secured employment, your employer would be able to verify your eligibility to legally work in Australia through an online system.

Extending your stay

Your student visa is normally valid for one to three months after your official enrolment period. If you would like to extend your stay in Australia to travel once you have completed your studies, you will need to apply for a tourist visa through the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

You will need to provide a letter together with your application for extension to confirm your completion of studies.