Linking industry & classroom
The School of Business has a history of integrating its engagement with industry and government stakeholders into the curriculum by inviting the industry leaders as guest speakers on a wide range of business, economic and socio-political issues.
We believe talks by business leaders who are responsible management practitioners constitute an effective learning experience. Such industry presentations not only offer students an opportunity to bridge the gap between the classroom and the business world, they also give them a chance to hear how responsible managers operate in the real world. Since joining PRME in 2017, the School’s focus has been on guest speakers who discuss the SDGs. In 2017 and 2018, over 50 local and international guest speakers engaged with students in the School of Business, with speakers drawn from a broad spectrum of industries, government and academia.
- Gender matters in the boardroom, Deloitte, CHERYL KHOR, Director in Malaysia
- Malaysian corporations driving sustainability, Sime Darby Plantation, Dr Renard Siew, Group Sustainability Advisor
Notable guest lecturers during 2017 and 2018 include:
- BDO , LUM CHIEW MUN, Partner, Audit & Assurance and KARTHIGAYAN SUPRAMANIAM, Executive Director, Advisory
- CIMB Group, MERISSA WONG, Managing Director, M&A and Partnerships
- EQ Solar Technology International Sdn Bhd, ISABEL KOW, President
- International Consultant on Labour Standards and Employment Relations, RAM THIAGARAJAH
- Iskandar Investment Bhd, DATUK KHAIRIL ANWAR AHMAD, CEO & President
- Islamic Banking and Finance Institute of Malaysia, YUSRY YUSOFF, CEO
- Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board, ISKANDAR MIRZA, Director, Corporate Communication Division
- Malaysian Institute of Corporate Governance, MEGAT MIZAN NICHOLAS DENNEY, member of Board of Governors
- Novartis Malaysia, PAT THONG, Head of Government Affairs and Patient Access
- PwC, LAI YIAN TAN, Executive Director Assurance & NOR SHERRIZA NOR RASHIDI, HR Executive
- Unigeneration Sdn Bhd, MADHU NAMBIAR, Chief Executive Officer
- University Malaya, Faculty of Law, ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AZMI SHAROM
The School of Business takes undergraduate and postgraduate students on study tours to businesses and organisations that are engaged in responsible management of economic, environmental and social challenges.
Students visit Malaysian businesses, local offices of global organisations and participate in international study tours to countries in Asia. These study tours allow students to apply their classroom learning in a real world context and to see how responsible management functions in real business situations.
Study tours 2018
- Petrosains KLCC, Management Information Systems
- Uniqlo (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, Management Information Systems
- Bank Negara Malaysia, Management Information Systems
- Sime Darby Plantation, Introduction to Social Commerce
- World Halal Summit MIHAS 2018, Introduction to Islamic Business
Study tours 2017
- Asia Islamic Fashion Week, Introduction to Islamic Business
- Economic Planning Unit, Prime Minister’s Department, Labour Economics
- Giant Lukut, Tesco Lukut and TF Value Mart, Retail Management Principles
- KLSE Bursa Malaysia, Current Issues in Corporate Governance
- Bank Negara Malaysia, Conventional and Islamic Finance Law
- World Halal Summit – MIHAS 2017, Introduction to Islamic Business